The California Association of School Psychologists (CASP) is licensed to offer continuing education units (CEU) to Licensed California Social Workers (LCSW), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT), Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors (LPCC), and Licensed Educational Psychologists (LEP). CASP is also a provider of Continuing Professional Development for Nationally Certified School Psychologists. Offering CEUs to licensed and/or certificated professionals provides an important service, allowing them to maintain the individual’s license and certification. In addition, offering CEUs may increase attendance at affiliates’ workshops.
LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs and LEPs are licensed through the Board of Behavioral Sciences which requires 36 hours of CEUs for each two-year license renewal period. LCSWs, LMFTs, and LEPs are expected to document and maintain records of their CEU activities. NCSPs must obtain 10 of the 75 CPDs required for renewal from NASP- or APA-approved providers during each three-year renewal period.
Procedures for offering CEUs
CASP affiliates can offer CEUs via the CASP licensing when the affiliate follows the procedures below:
- In advance of advertising for the workshop, contact CASP to discuss the type of workshop and the workshop presenter to determine whether the workshop qualifies for CEUs.
- If they qualify, add the following statement on the workshop promotional materials:
This course meets the qualifications for __ hours of continuing education credit for LEPs, LPCCs, LMFTs, and LCSWs. This course also qualifies for __ hours of continuing professional development for Nationally Certified School Psychologists, under provider number 1025. The California Association of School Psychologists maintains responsibility for the program and its content.
- LEPs/LMFTs/LPCCs/LCSWs pay $20 to the affiliate for the processing of their CEUs for each workshop. NCSPs also pay $20 for their Documentation of Attendance. Affiliates should include that also in promotional materials.
- After the affiliate sends a copy of the flyer to CASP, a packet of information for offering the credits will be sent to you. This will include detailed instructions, an attendance sheet, evaluation forms and receipt forms to be used to record payment
- At the workshop, each person wishing to receive the credits must sign in and out of the workshop, complete the evaluation form and turn it in with payment. The affiliate then sends one check to cover all of the CEU applicants plus the forms, to CASP, where the information is processed. CASP then sends certificates to the program participants.
Depending on the timing, CASP may also offer advertising for affiliates’ workshops in CASP Today, and on the CASP website. Each affiliate’s CASP Region Representative also has the ability to email every CASP member in his or her region about your workshop.